Saturday, January 24, 2009

So Long For Now

So this is going to be the last post for a week y'all. I've got a week of Egypt ahead of me, and unfortunately internet connection is looking sketchy. I know you will all die of boredom without my updates, but just hang in there. I'll try and make this post extra entertaining...which means pictures again. But first, I've just got to hit the highlights of the past few days. This week we did so many cool things. It's amazing how much time you can spend not doing homework with the belief that you are still going to pass. I guess we'll see how that works out for me by the end. Anywho, Wednesday we got to go to the Kotel Tunnels, which are beneath East Jerusalem. It was incredible to see walls built by these Jews still standing, albeit the Romans crushed a good amount of it. I felt like I was on Indiana Jones at Disneyland, but way better because there was no cheesy Harrison Ford dummy narrating the adventure. We had an AMAZING tour guide who basically couldn't give us enough information. I loved every second of it. Then we got to meet back outside the wailing wall, which is not to be eclipsed by the tunnels. This is the place where, for hundreds of years, Jews have gone to worship since they are not permitted to pray any closer in the city. Basically, it's incredible.



















Not to be outdone by the tunnel field trip, thursday afternoon was spent catching sights in East Jerusalem including Dormition Abbey with the Tomb of Mary and a Holocaust Memorial. Annie was our fearless leader, and we had one of the most productive sightseeing days yet.



Finally, we got an 'almost' free-day on friday. After one class, we headed out to West Jerusalem where we had a great time elbowing our way through markets. The market was packed full of people, food, and culture. I loved it. I even found myself a bag of pretzels for 7 shekels to go with my newfound love of Nutella...which is definitely bad news for my health. Oh well.

The festivities of the week ended with more hookup board drama, a secret oath between 5 girls, and my personal favorite...being pantsed (is that even a verb?) by Richelle. After a life like this, I just don't know if Utah will ever be able to cut it again. Except for the fact that I have some of my favorite people there. So no worries, I'll be coming back. ;-) In closing, here's a picture of some more amazing people that I love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Um...are you doing the "bend and snap" in that second picture? hmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I just took a closer look at that picture. I see your hands are holding your backpack. nice...undone.

    ReplyDelete